Sunday, April 22, 2007

Something about danny and something about myself (III)


I'm thinking of a whole lot of things, but before I go into that, can you guess on which two islands did I grow up? I used to ride the funicular railway up a beautiful hill for the spectacular panorama.


I played on the beaches of the island.


I loved climbing the steps of this temple and tossing veges for the tortoises in the huge rocky pit.



At the age of five, I moved to this island of gleaming skyscrapers. I went to the school with the brightest students and studied hard. Almost everyone else studied harder. I didn't study very hard like the others because school textbooks bored me! I preferred lugging a huge Atlas or encyclopaedia volumes into the toilet to read. Sometimes I spent an hour sitting there reading. Talk about strange habits. That was when I discovered I could probably study anything I wanted and be reasonably good. But I remember my favorite subject in high school (and college, and grad school) were Japanese for a long time, then French when I did that, and finally German
(but I think I like Japanese and French better).

I was an honest, frank, and cheerful boy.

I was twenty when I crossed the ocean to come to America. I toyed with studying law at the university back home, because I wanted to fight for justice, fairness and equality, but I wanted to come here and explore the world! So I came. Oh, before that, I did a two-year stint in the army, because I had to. Boy, was that an experience (a pretty horridly exciting one)!

But anyway I was out of there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

There are thousands of Asian islands (with Buddhist temples) that look like this one. So, I am going to need a better hint than that.

The skyline looks like Hong Kong, but not quite. It is not quite Singapore either. I am afraid I am stumped. Sigh. But it is really nice to know more about you. :)

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home